A Smoothie a day keeps…
I have been enjoying smoothies almost every day for breakfast for the last few years now and to be honest, when I don’t start my day this way, something feels off. My energy wanes by the afternoon, I don’t feel as motivated and I don’t sleep as well at night.
Some of my clients insist that they would prefer a breakfast you actually have to chew, and trust me, I felt they same way. But, these same clients are now converts to the morning smoothie routine!
If you don’t begin at least some of your days with a smoothie, I am going to give you several reasons why you may want to consider giving it a try.
- Are easily digested. Simply put: when you eat solid food, your digestive system has to work hard to break down the food into a liquid consistency for proper digestion. Eating foods that are broken down already uses less energy and enzymes, making nutrients easier to assimilate.
- Are a fantastic ‘mask’ for nutritious food. Those with kids have already figured this out. You can hide the craziest things in smoothies! Like aloe vera juice, almond butter, pumpkin seeds, spirulina and other greens powders, extra enzymes, probiotics, bitters, or herbs, you name it! The recipe below uses aloe as a key ingredient.
- Wake up the digestive system at a slow and steady pace. Just like we enjoy waking up slowly, stretching, debating whether we should get up or not, our digestion likes this pace too. Drinking smoothies before a solid breakfast makes sure our tummy gets a nice and relaxing wake up.
- They are simple, fast and portable. Let’s face it, many of us don’t have the time in the morning to sit and read the paper over a bowl of oatmeal. Smoothies can be partially made the night before and literally take only 1 minute to prepare in the morning. Put them in a travel cup with a lid and take them with you to enjoy en route!
- Help you maintain a healthy weight. The key to losing weight is to maintain stable insulin levels throughout the day and as research has told us, one key step is to begin your day with a high protein meal. For those wishing to lose weight, be sure to add protein powder to your smoothie to rev up your metabolism.
Here are some fantstic recipes, one to soothe an inflammed digestive system, a couple that are ideal for post and pre workouts and the rest are fantastic for any old day.
If want some addtional motivation to take your health to the next level, please schedule yourself in with our holistic nutritionist now! 289-291-0254.