Let’s Talk About B12
Let’s talk about Vitamin B12!
If you’re feeling run down, under the weather, low in energy, experiencing low moods, finding it difficult to focus, having nerve pain, or suffering from insomnia a Vitamin B12 injection protocol might be what you need.
Probably most known for its energy boosting ability, Vitamin B12 is a complex water-soluble vitamin that is involved in several important functions in the body. It helps in the formation of red blood cells, the development of DNA and can support normal function of the nervous system. It is involved in the metabolism of cells in the body and helps metabolize fats, proteins and carbohydrates. It is used in the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin (your “happy” brain messengers), and it’s a co-factor in the synthesis of melatonin (a hormone that helps you sleep better).
Other signs that you may need a boost.
- mental fogginess
- problems with your memory
- mood swings
- lack of motivation
- feelings of apathy
- fatigue and a lack energy
- muscle weakness
- tingling in your extremities
What’s the difference between taking a vitamin B12 pill versus injection?
The injected form bypasses the digestive system, allowing it to be more readily absorbed in the blood and will give you the optimal effect.
Different types of B12?
Cyanocobalamin is the form most commonly available, used in fortified foods and vitamins because of it is shelf stable. It is not in an active form and needs to be converted to be used, some people have inadequate enzymes to convert this form into the active methylcobalamin and therefore have poor absorption of this form of B12.
Methylcobalamin is the form that we use at Balance Point. It is the active form of B12 which is most easily absorbed by the body. An added bonus is the “methyl” group in this form, which will support methylation; this is needed for detoxification, metabolism, mental function and numerous other biological functions.
Your body needs B12 for:
- proper digestion, food absorption, iron use, carbohydrate and fat metabolism
- healthy nervous system function
- promotion of normal nerve growth and development
- help with regulation of the formation of red blood cells
- cell formation and longevity
- proper circulation
- adrenal hormone production
- healthy immune system function
- support of female reproductive health and pregnancy
- feelings of well-being and mood regulation
- mental clarity, concentration, memory function
- physical, emotional and mental energy
Vitamin B12 can be beneficial for the following conditions:
- B12 deficiency
- Pernicious anemia
- Fatigue/ low energy
- Neurological conditions (MS, Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons, ALS etc.)
- Restless leg syndrome
- Anxiety and depression
- Immune support
- Chronic pain (nerve pain, numbness/tingling)
An initial naturopathic assessment needs to be conducted before performing a B12 injection. Come in or book a virtual appointment with Dr. Janna Fung, ND to determine your specific needs.
To book your B12 injection call our office at 289-291-0254.