Creamy Roasted Garlic, Kale and Cauliflower Soup
Thanks to That Clean Life for this immunity supporting recipe. We love the choice of immune supporting ingredients in this recipe and it is absolutely delicious! You can always use less garlic if the 24 cloves scares you. 🙂
- 24 Garlic Cloves (yes…that’s 24..this would be the immune building part)
- 2 Yellow onions chopped
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 2/3 tbsp Italian Seasoning (or your own blend of oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 16 cups chopped kale
- 7 1/2 cups of organic veggie broth
- Roast garlic, cauliflower and onion, in half of the oil, at 400 for 40 minutes. Mix them a couple of times.
- Add remaining oil to pot, heat and then mix in kale. Saute for a few minute and then half of the stock and allow kale to soften.
- Add roasted veggies and remaining stock. Boil for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- Blend with immersion blender or in a high speed blender in batches.
Whole garlic contains a compound called alliin. When garlic is crushed or chewed, this compound turns into allicin (with a c), the main active ingredient in garlic (7Trusted Source).
Allicin contains sulfur, which gives garlic its distinctive smell and taste (8). However, allicin is unstable, so it quickly converts to other sulphur-containing compounds thought to give garlic its medicinal properties (5Trusted Source).
These compounds have been shown to boost the disease-fighting response of some types of white blood cells in the body when they encounter viruses, such as the viruses that cause the common cold or flu (5Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).
Linda Ljucovic, Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Oakville
Additional Blogs you may like: