Dip Dip – Hummus for kids
Our boy’s favourite snack is hummus. We put it on everything from crackers to veggies to brown rice cakes. We even used this as a pasta sauce on occasion. This hummus is packed with nutrition and will keep any active child going all day.
- 3/4 cups raw cashews (optional)
- 3-31/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
- 1 small clove of garlic (more if making for adults)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp flax oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp *nutritional yeast (optional)
- 5-6 tbsp water (to thin as desired)
In a food processor, combine cashews with 3 tbsp lemon juice and puree until smooth. Add remaining ingredients except water and puree again, gradually adding water as desired to thin the dip. Season to taste with additional salt, lemon juice, and/or nutritional yeast. Enjoy!
*Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of B12. (great for anyone eating a vegan diet)
This dip provides a good amount of protein and EFAs and is therefore a great snack when combined with veggies. The hidden nuts add an extra dose of healthy fats to this tasty dip.