June 12, 2012 In Healthy Living, Nutrition, Recipes
Minty Raw Chocolate Power Balls
These Power Balls make a nice mid afternoon snack that will provide you with a boost of energy and brain power you sometimes need to get through until dinner. They will not spike your blood sugar levels because of the high fiber and essential fatty acid content. Yum. A good option if you are watching your weight or just trying to eat healthier. Also a great treat for kids.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds mixed
- 2 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder if you want to keep this completely raw) (carob poweder for the kids)
- 1 cup dates (may need to add more if it is too dry)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or you can use water or juice)
- 1-2 drops mint oil
- optional…1 tbsp honey or agave nector (if you like them sweeter)
- optional…to make them more festive, roll in coconut, crushed walnuts or cocao powder
Blend cashews in a food processor to a powder and then add the other seeds and blend until they are incorporated well. The seeds make the mix more chunky. Add cocoa powder, sea salt, mint oil and blend. Add dates and coconut oil and continue to blend until you get the consistency you like. I like these without added sugar because the dates are sweet enough but if you must, add the honey.
That’s it! So easy. Now, simply use a teaspoon to take the mixture out of the bowl and roll into balls. It helps to have your hands greased up with coconut oil for easier rolling. I usually get my kids to help.
Enjoy and let me know what you think! If you like this one, there are more amazing recipes like this in my book Stress Less About PMS!