Molasses Muffins (allergen free)
I make these muffins all the time as they are free of all allergens and very simple. Feel free to get creative by adding nuts and other fruits like blueberries, raspberries, raisons or dates.
- 1 tsp egg replacer plus 2 tbsp water (or 1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed into 3 tbsp water) or 1 egg…if not intolerant
- 1/3 cup molasses (plus 1/3 cup of honey if you like sweeter muffins)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups brown rice flour
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup apple juice (or rice milk)
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1 small pear, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Cream together the egg replacer and water. Blend the molasses and oil. Add the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Mix in the juice. Do not over mix. Stir in the fruit.
Line muffin tin (12) with cupcake liners and spoon batter in. Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until done. Enjoy!
Molasses is a good source of iron! These muffins are low in sugar and if you eat them with a protein source for breakfast, you have a great high energy start to the day.
Linda Ljucovic, Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Oakville
Other Recipes You Might Like