Blood Sugar Balancing Banana Bread
Try this healthier version of banana bread. Dense and delicous!
- 1 1/2 cups ripe mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or organic butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup brown rice flour or spelt flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1.5 tsp baking powder (2 tsp if you are using brown rice flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg (or 1-2 drops of cinnamon bark essential oil)
- 1/2 cup nuts or seeds or chocolate chips (optional)
Combine banana, sugar and melted coconut oil. Mix dry ingredients on wax paper. Fold wet and dry ingredients together. Bake for 45 minutes at 350. (use 9x5x3 loaf pan)
Bananas are a terrific energy food and a good source of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Bananas add moisture and sweetness to baked goods, which means you can reduce the amount of sugar and oil considerably. This recipe is so easy to make and is a better choice than typical store bought and cafe style banana breads that are generally high in refined white flour, sugar and saturated fats. Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid that provides your body with stable energy. Coconut oil is also used for weight loss so eat this bread without the guilt!