Omega 3 Power Oatmeal
This is a super way to get extra omega-3 fatty acids in your diet (from the walnuts and flax seeds), not to mention fiber, vitamins and minerals!
- 1/2 cup whole *oats (or steel cut)
- 1 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts (almonds and walnuts are good)
- 1 tbsp dried apricots
- 1 tbsp currants
- optional: sprinkle of dried berries
- 1 tbsp protein powder – optional
Bring the water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt. Add the oats, stir, and let boil until the mixture begins to thicken (about 5 minutes). Turn heat off, add all other ingredients. Remove from heat and serve with a splash of almond or rice milk if desired.
It’s tough getting the zinc and iron needed on a daily basis from the foods we eat. Both are important for optimizing immune fuction.
*if you are avoiding gluten, there are gluten free varieties of oats available.
Linda Ljucovic, Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Oakville